‘THE INTERNET: CHALLENGES TO PEACE AND FREEDOM’
Barcelona, Spain – 19th to 21st May, 2016
Panel 1. Justice, Civil Service and the Internet
- Ben Grifith – An active member of WJA for the past 25 years. He was a chapter author in Local Government in the Computer Age (ABA Section of State and Local Government Law, Martha Chumbler, Ed. 2009) and is an IMLA Local Government Fellow, Chair of IMLA’s International Steering Committee.
Conference – The vulnerabilities of local Governments to cyber-attacks.
- Sorell Negro – Lawyer in Robinson&Cole’s Miami office, where she helps clients with real property and environmental disputes. She represents large institutional clients including multinational corporations, nonprofit organizations, and local and regional government entities.
Conference – Government Control of Electronic Information: The Finer Line between Serving and Suppressing the Public Interest.
- Steve Meyers – Attorney who has represented governmental agencies for over 40 years. He is admitted to all state and federal courts in California and to the United States Supreme Court. An active member of the World Jurist Association and the International Municipal Lawyers Association, Mr. Meyers has been a frequent contributor to WJA proceedings for many years on issues of law and public policy.
- Peter Falk – Principal IT-Consultant, (Strategisches IT-Consulting) at Fujitsu. German EDV Gerichtstag, E-Justice at Fraunhofer Institute for Open Communication.
- Sven Kohlmeier – Attorney at Law, certified specialist on IT Law German deputy, lawyer and expert on judicial policy. Deputy. Member of Deputy’s Chamber of Berlin.
Conference – Digitalization: a Challenge for Justice.
- Agustí Cerrillo – Professor of Administrative Law at ‘Universitat Oberta de Catalunya’. Currently, he is the Ombudsman of the University. He has published books and journal articles on e-government, public integrity and the fight against corruption, public transparency and the dissemination of public sector information through the Internet and governance of development cooperation. At present, his research is focused on the impact of ICT on Public Administration and Administrative Law and transparency and integrity in Public Administration.
Conference – Open Data Regulation: An Opportunity to Increase Transparency.
- Kim Quarles – First Vice-President of the World Jurist Association. Senior Vice President, Executive Risks at Willis of New York.
Conference – Law firms and cyber-ethical obligations.
Panel 2. The Internet and the Corporate World.
- Steve Cahill – Steve has spent the past five years as Country Manager Spain & General Manager of the pan-European Shared Service Centre, for Colt Technology Services, a wholly owned subsidiary of Fidelity, the private US Investment Bank. Steve has 40 years’ experience at executive management level in the international ICT sector having worked in over 40 countries across five continents for subsidiaries of EMC, Fujitsu, France Telecom, Steinhoff Group, and Colt. During this time Steve has been responsible for leading strategic change at a global level, in both line and staff management roles, for a variety of functions ranging from Customer Service, Supply Chain, Procurement, Operations, through to Sales, Finance and Commercial.
Conference – Internet: the Age of Ignorance or Knowledge.
- Pierre Dewez – Founder and CEO of PECB Europe, in charge of business development and international relations with customers and partners. Active in the field of Information Technology for over 18 years as quality and information security auditor, Pierre comes from the academic world (Professor of Literacy and History from Ulg and UCL in Belgium, 1996) and has an MBA from Stanford University (1997). Pierre has built his experience in compliance in the insurance industry as general secretary of the Legal Protection Office of Ethias (2nd Belgian insurer) and is internationally recognized as a senior expert in the areas of compliance, Quality, information security, risk management and continuity of information technology.
- Juan Andrés Avilés – IBM Technical Leader. Chief Technology Officer of Enterprise Business Units in Spain. Business development in the area of Cognitive Computing (Watson).
- Agustín Argelich – Telecom Engineer trained at La Salle, Ramón Llull University of Barcelona. Founder and principal consultant at Argelich Networks, an independent ICT consultancy company. Technological Director of the IX Paralympic Games of Barcelona’92 Olympic Organising Committee. Expert in Unified Communications, Collaboration solutions and telecom expenses management. Member of the International Society of Communications Technologies Consultants (SCTC).
Conference – A Networked World.
Panel 3. Digital Taxation and Money Laundering.
- Tulio Raul Rosembuj Erujmovich – Director of European Fiscal Law Course at the ‘Libera Università Internazionale degli Studi Sociali Guido Carli’, (LUISS) Rome. Former Professor of Financial and Tax Law at the University of Barcelona.
Conference – Taxing Digital. Cryptocurrency and the Bit Coin.
Panel 4. Cybercrime, the Penal Code, and the Internet
- Miriam Guardiola Salmerón – Attorney at Law, specialist in Criminal Law, Cybercrime (grooming, sexting, dating violence).
Conference – Cybercrime: new risks, new challenges.
- Alexander Löw – CEO at Data-Warehouse GmbH. Member of the SME council of DWT. Ext. personal data protection officer. Member of Cyber-Securitycouncil Germany.
- José Ramon Agustina – Professor at the International University of Catalonia. Director of the Criminal Law Department at the UIC. Coordinator of the Legal, Forensic and Criminological Psychopathology Master and is director of Cyber – Delinquency Master amongst other formative programs. He was Visiting Scholar at Cambridge University, Pace Law School, Rutgers School of Law y Texas State University. He published more than 30 articles in prestigious journals and 3 monographs. He is currently directing the “Colección Actualidad Criminológica y Penal” at BdeF-Edisofer publisher.
- Alberto Jurado Salazar – Professor of Criminal Law in Rafael Urdaneta University, Maracaibo (Venezuela)
Conference – Criminalization of Online Contents in Venezuela.
Panel 5. Data Protection, Social Media, and Freedom.
- Ann Cavoukian – Executive Director of the Privacy and Big Data Institute at Ryerson University. Former Information and Privacy Commissioner for the Canadian province of Ontario serving from 1997 to 2014.
- José Luis Piñar – Professor of Administrative Law, Attorney at Law, Chair of ‘Google Cathedra on Privacy, Society and Innovation’, Director of Master Programs on Data Protection, Transparency and Access to Information at the University CEU San Pablo, Madrid. Former Director of the Spanish Privacy Agency.
- Àngels Barbarà i Fondevila – Catalan Data Protection Authority Director since 18th July, 2012, appointed by the Parliament Plenary.
Conference – New technologies and its impact on individual’s rights and freedoms.
- Alba Bosch – Legal officer at the Policy and Consultation Unit of the European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS).
- Victor Roselló – Attorney at Law and CIPP/E, specialist in IT Law.
- Ethia Simha – President of the World Association of Lawyers (WAL). Attorney-at-Law & Notary Public, Ethia Simha Law Office; former advisor to two Israeli Prime-Ministers; former Head of Israeli women’s delegations to the UN commissions; member of the Board of Governors of The International Association of Jewish Lawyers and Jurists; chairperson of the international committee of the Jerusalem Bar Association; WJA National President for Israel; chairperson of the Jerusalem Cancer Association; owner of awards in Israel and abroad; and former International Honorary Secretary of the International Alliance of Women (an umbrella Association of women’s organizations) and its representative at the U.N. commissions especially the Crime Prevention Branch.
Conference – Freedom of Expression in the Digital Era.
- Glendeline F. Croes – Attorney at HPCD International (Aruba)
Conference – Cybercrime and Cybersecurity in the Aviation Industry.
Panel 6. The Internet: Challenges for China.
- Tao Kaiyuan – Grand Justice, Vice President of the Supreme People’s Court of China.
- Fan Mingzhi – Magistrate of the Supreme People’s Court of China.
- Li Ping – Magistrate of the Supreme People’s Court of China.
- Jiang Qiang – Magistrate of the Supreme People’s Court of China.
China 2014 IP Law Conference: International Perspectives on Intellectual Property Protection
Shanghai, China ♦ November 2-4, 2014
(International Speakers Only)
ALEXANDER J. BĚLOHLÁVEK (CZECH REPUBLIC), Univ. Prof., Prof. zw., dr. iur. et mgr., DI/MB (oec), dr.h.c.
Professor on the Dept. of Law, Faculty of Economics, Technical University Ostrava (Czech Republic); Prof. zw. –Department of International Law and International Relations, Faculty of Law and Administration, WSM Warsaw (Poland). Visiting Univ. Professor, Dept. of International Law, Faculty of Law, Masaryk University Brno (Czech Republic); Attorney-at-Law in Prague (Czech Republic) – branch office New Jersey (USA). Member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration, International Chamber of Commerce, Paris (France). Head of the Commission on Arbitration, ICC National Committee, Czech Republic. President of the World Jurist Association (WJA) in Washington D.C. ( USA). Arbitrator in Prague (Czech Republic), Vienna (Austria), Kyiv (Ukraine), Moscow (Russia), Almaty (Kazakhstan), Vilnius (Lithuania), Chissinau (Moldova), Ljubljana (Slovenia), Warsaw (Poland), Sofia (Bulgaria), Arbitrator pursuant to UNCITRAL Rules. Member of ABA (American Bar Association), ASA (Swiss Arbitration Association), ASIL (American Society of International Law), CAK (Czech Bar Association) DIS (Deutsches Institut für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit), ArbAut (Austrian Arbitration Association), IBA (International Bar Association), ICC (International Chamber of Commerce), ILA (International Law Association – headquarters branch London), Associated Member of the Law Society of England and Wales etc. Areas of interest and expertise: Private and procedural international law; international law; international trade and foreign trade; international financial and banking law; EU Law; commercial law and companies law (incl. international investment, M&A); international transport (especially air transport); international insolvency law; and arbitration and alternative dispute resolution.
PROFESSOR DR. KAREL KLÍMA
Prof. Klima is a University Professor specializing in constitutional law. He is also the Head of Department of the Legal Specialisations and Public Administration at the Metropolitan University in Prague (Czech Republic); a Professor at Law Faculty at the Comenius University in Bratislava (Slovakia); Professor at the University of the Natural and Social Sciencies at Siedlce (Poland); and a Member of World Jurist Association Board of Governors where he holds the office of President for the World Association of Law Professors (WALP) of the WJA.
Prof. Dr. hab. JOANNA SIENCZYLO-CHLABICZ (POLAND)
Judge of the Supreme Administrative Court in Warsaw (Poland); fullProfessor at the Law Faculty, University in Bialystok and at Leon Kozminski Academy in Warsaw (Poland); Head of the Intellectual Property Institute at the Law Faculty, University in Bialystok; Judge at the Supreme Administrative Court in Warsaw (Poland). Areas of interest include Intellectual property law; Civil law; Protection of personal rights; Media law; Public and private economic and commercial law. Author of 120 publications in Polish and English. Academic -Doctorate degree in law (1996) in the field of copyright law and civil law. Professor of intellectual property law, media law, public economic law (since January 2008.
DR. VÍT HORÁČEK (CZECH REPUBLIC)
Vít Horáček has been with Glatzova & Co. since its foundation in 1994. Besides litigation and arbitration, his practice concentrates on telecommunications and IT, legal advice on real estates, utilities transactions and intellectual property. Education: Law Faculty of Charles University in Prague (graduated 1991, doctorate 1993), University of Birmingham, post-graduate studies (1993); Associate since: 1995; Partner since: 1996; Career history: Bubník & Myslil, Prague (1992 – 1994), part-time attorney in trading companies (1990 – 1992); Membership: Member of the Czech Bar Association, Arbitrator at the permanent Czech Arbitration Court at the Economic Chamber of the Czech Republic and Agrarian Chamber of the Czech Republic, Assistant Professor at the Charles University, Prague, Faculty of Law, Arbitrator at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), Arbitrator at Football Association of the Czech Republic, Arbitrator at the Arbitration at the Moscow Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Arbitrator at the Arbitration Court attached to the Czech-Moravian Commodity Exchange, Kladno (Czech Republic), Member of the International Bar Association, Member of the Academic Senate of the University of Economics and Management (2001-2004), Member of the Association Internationale de Jeunes Avocats, Member of the Czech Society for International Law, Member of the Board of Editors – internet magazine www.stavebni-forum.cz; Awards: leading lawyer at Chambers Global 2014 – Litigation category; leading lawyer in Arbitration & Litigation category and highly recommended lawyer in TMT category at Chambers Europe 2014, recommended lawyer at The Legal 500 – Dispute resolution and TMT categories, leading lawyer 2013 at Best Lawyers – Technology category; Languages: Czech, English, German, French, Russian
JUSTICE SARDAR ABDUL HAMEED KHAN (PAKISTAN)
Judge, Azad Jammu & Kashmir, Muzaffarabad, Pakistan – Appointed as permanent Judge of Azad Jammu & Kashmir High Court by the President of Azad Jammu & Kashmir on the advice of Chairman Azad Jammu & Kashmir Council (Prime Minister of Pakistan) under the interim constitution Act 1974, and took oath before the Chief Justice of Azad Jammu & Kashmir High Court on March 13, 2013. Justice Khan also serves as Chairman Drug Court of Azad Jammu & Kashmir vide Government under Notification Dated June 4, 2013. Justice Khan was elected unopposed as first President of District Bar Association of Sudhnooti (Pallandri) for 1995/1996. In 1999 firstly was elected as member of newly established Azad Jammu & Kashmir Bar Council and thereafter was also elected for 2nd and 3rd term and was Senior Most member of Bar Council at the time of elevation to High Court Azad Jammu Kashmir. In 2002, was elected un-opposed Vice Chairman of Azad Jammu & Kashmir Bar Council for 2002/2003; member of High Court Lawyers enrollment Committee of AJ&K Bar Council for 8/10 years; member of Supreme Court Lawyers Enrollment Committee of AJ&K Bar Council for about 4/6 years; member of many other Committees of Azad Jammu & Kashmir Bar Council including Rules Framing Committee, Legal Education Committee, Kashmir Committee, etc. Justice Khan has performed the duties of Head of Department (Honorary) of Law Faculty in Mohi-ud-Din Islamic University Nerian Sharif (AJ&K) for about 10 years, and has been an External Examiner of law department of Azad Jammu & Kashmir University Muzaffrabad (for some LLB Papers) for about 5/6 years.